Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Cheesy Post About Creative Lesson Planning

With apologies to the Eurythmics, the above distortion of their lyrics is very clever.  When I see something like this, I once again ask myself how I could use this in my classroom to grab the attention of the students at the beginning, midway, or completion of a class period.  That's my question of you today...

How could you use this very picture in your class?  Tell me about it in the comment section.  Even if you're not a teacher and you've just stumbled upon the Holistic Ed Blog, give it a try.

Here's where I could use the picture in my general chemistry sequence.  I would use the picture to depict a "Spectrum", which is really the possible types or values associated with something.  When speaking of light, we end up speaking of the electromagnetic spectrum that consists of radio, microwave, infrared, visible, ultraviolet, x-ray and gamma rays  By realizing that all of those types of cheese represent a particular portion of the spectrum of cheese, maybe my students will remember that radio waves and x-rays simply represent a small portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, meaning that both are a type of light!  I could see playing the song as the students enter the classroom and then showing them the picture above via the projector.  From their, the conversation would start and they would have something real to connect with a positive vibe about this particular class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Holistic Ed