Thursday, August 8, 2013

News Flash: Not all educational apps are good for children


The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood has publicly stated what I think many of us have thought:  Educational apps are sometimes just games. But, they went further and have stated concerns that the same apps may actually be hindering childhood development.  I'm sure the story is just getting started.

Also reported in the story is the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics that children under 2 not use media for learning.  I have to say, it had not occurred to me before, but developing eyes and the screen may not be the best thing.  Also, I would want my children to interact with me to learn and experience and everything...that has to be best for the bond between the child and family.

Here are links to four different articles on the story:  New York TimesGottabemobile, CBS Detroit, San Jose Mercury News.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Holistic Ed